This time it is one of the ATTS (A Time To Stitch) - can't believe Therese and Christine have arrived at number 7 already. The ATTS 7 is all about bead embroidery.
As you know, seed beading is not my forte (or my favourite medium), however, I love trying it every now and then. I have been pleasantly surprised in the past by the ATTS challenges, in the sense that I enjoyed them immensely.
I approached this challenge with the same attitude: I'll enjoy myself... I chose one of Marie's cabs, from the Bead Peeps challenge, the oval black and glittery one:
But that's where my luck fled me and went somewhere else :)
I tried to use some of the seed beads Marie sent, along with some I had. The issue? I don't use small size beads, I mostly have #6 and #8. For this type of embroidery I need #11, #13, and #15 to make it work. I had some #11, and some incredibly teeny-tiny #15, however not of the same type of bead... they would not work together. This is the first attempt:
OK... back to the drawing wall. Now what? A trip to the LBS... which left me a few dollars poorer, and in no better shape. Why? Our LBS (which has pretty much everything) doesn't have different size seed beads in the same type! I found either #11 and #15 in Toho or some #10 Czech or a #13 Czech... but no three sizes in the same type. I got the Toho and #13 Czech, came home happy... and, to my complete dismay I discovered the #13 are so in diameter. But the height of the bead is almost nonexistent. And for the peyote bezel it's the actual height that matters.
I was sitting at the desk quite lost. Then I remembered I didn't visit Sally's post for the CC7A, so I did that. Aha! Sally's piece for the May CC7A had an interesting beading. I decided that's what I will try, and using just the #11 I proceeded to try to implement it.
My piece is far (very, very far) from being perfect - but it has some embroidery around it after all :)
The back was the funniest part to do, and it's also very far from perfect, but it holds itself.
The most interesting part? The bezel itself is done with a white thread. For some unknown reasons, I changed to black for the back, and the transparency of the dark purple beads had picked that up: can you see the subtle difference between the side and the back? I won't lie to you, that's the part I like best and I'll try to remember you can have some interesting effects just by changing the thread!
I started to make a rope for it, using the gold border (the #15s)... and that's how far I got... the seed beads are too tiny for me to ever manage to finish that, I am sorry to admit it. I get some points for trying, hopefully :)
If someone has an idea on how to use the purple #11s in a nice rope, with the gold #15s as accents (very rare accents!), please let me know. If I finish the rope, I can finish the necklace and be happy :) (I am such a simple creature, finishing a piece can make me very happy!)
This was my adventure in seed beads land ~ while not very successful in results, I consider it very successful in the learning experience. That's what matters most in my eyes.
Please make sure you visit the rest of the group, I assure you they're more accomplished than my attempt. I know that before visiting anybody else, trust me!
Alicia <- you are here