Sunday, July 22, 2012
- Our abbey has a very strict rule, called 'the silence rule'. You can stay here for as long as you wish, but you can never speak unless I allow you to do so.
Sister Mary agrees and starts living at the abbey. After 5 years, the Abbess calls Sister Mary and tells her:
- You've been with us for 5 years now. You can speak 2 words.
- Hard bed, says Sister Mary.
- Oh, I'm sorry to hear this, answers the Abbess, we will change your bed and give you a better one.
Another 5 years pass - Sister Mary is called again at the Abbess, who allows her to speak 2 more words:
- Bad food, says Sister Mary
The Abbess assures Mary the food will change and get better and another 5 years pass. She is again allowed to say 2 more words:
- I quit! says Sister Mary.
- It's probably for the better, answers the Abbess, since you came all you did was to complain!